Dimethylglycine (DMG) is a relatively small molecule with an amazing power to change and improve health, well-being, and vitality in a person's life.
A natural substance found in certain foods like meat (liver), beans, seeds, and grains, DMG is an intermediary metabolite—meaning it is rapidly broken down into other useful substances your body requires. DMG, which affects many metabolic pathways within the cell, is also produced in small amounts by humans and animals. Officially named N, N-Dimethylglycine, DMG is related to the amino acid, glycine, whose two hydrogen atoms have been replaced with methyl (CH3) groups on its nitrogen atom. Research shows it to be physiologically active and important to cell metabolism, as well as a supplier of essential methyl groups for modifying, building, and detoxifying many components in the body.
Over 25 years of research and clinical studies have demonstrated DMG, as a nutritional supplement, has many positive effects, including stress reduction, improved athletic and sexual performance, and enhanced cardiovascular, brain, and immune functions. An adaptogen, DMG works with other co-factors in the body to counteract the negative effects of physical, emotional, and metabolic stress and to help prevent and overcome degenerative diseases. It can also normalize physiological functions and help maintain homeostasis (balance) within the body. These physiological functions include the regulation of blood glucose levels, immune response, blood pressure, hypoxic or low-oxygen conditions, hormone and cholesterol levels, as well as those of important biologically active molecules like SAMe, glutathione, and creatine.
Studies also show DMG:
- Provides useful building blocks for the biosynthesis of vitamins, hormones, neurotransmitters, antibodies, nucleic acids, and other metabolically active molecules
- Supports all aspects of immune response by acting as an anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal agent
- Promotes cardiovascular functions by supporting normal triglyceride and cholesterol levels, reducing angina, improving circulation, and decreasing elevated homocysteine levels
- Improves oxygenation, thus reducing fatigue and increasing energy for improved physical and mental performance
- Supports neurological function and mental clarity by acting as a precursor to the amino acids that are building blocks for neurotransmitters
- Acts as an antioxidant against free radicals
- Supports detoxification and enhances liver function, particularly Phase II detoxification (the phase that excretes converted toxic metabolites)
One reason DMG affects so many areas in the body is because it contributes to methylation, a biochemical process essential to life and necessary for good health. Through trans-methylation (the transfer of a methyl group from one molecule to another), DMG supplies methyl groups for many of the modifying, building, detoxifying, recycling, activating, and protecting reactions that change the structure and function of many components in the body. As a source of methyl groups, DMG causes certain critical chemical reactions to proceed more efficiently. Specifically, DMG recycles SAMe, the primary methyl donor in the body, which helps lower elevated homocysteine, an identified risk factor in cardiovascular disease. Through the methyl donor SAMe, DMG supports nerve function and neurotransmitter production, improves verbal communication, social behavior, and sleep patterns of autistic children. DMG also functions as a mineral transporter, chelating agent, and cell communicator. DMG helps detoxify toxic substances via its effect on Phase II detoxification by the liver. Methyl groups are attached to toxic metabolites to produce new water-soluble, readilyexcreted compounds.
Depending on the specific health problem, the recommended dosage of DMG can range from 125 mg to more than 1000 mg daily. If you are dealing with a serious health problem, always be sure to consult with your health care practitioner.
Continued research with this nutrient will reveal even more about how DMG can be used effectively to combat the stresses and health problems that affect so many of us as we grow older. DMG can help you build wellness and live a more productive and healthier life.